Sri Manakula Vinayagar temple

Before the French settlement in Pondicherry in 1666, the Sri Manakula Vinayagar temple existed and attracted devotees to come worship. The temple has forty different forms of Ganesha portrayed on the wall and the walls have spires. There is another shrine which is dedicated to Lord Murugan the younger brother of Ganesha. The temple witnesses nearly 5000 devotees every day that include local residents as well as tourists. The temple also houses a temple elephant that offers its blessings to the visiting devotees every day. The temple literally meanspond near the sea full of sand.

Sri Manakula Vinayagar temple

The temple was called as Manal Kulathu Vinayagar and later came to be known as Manakula Vinayagar temple. The temple is open to devotees from morning 5:45am to 12:30pm and evening 4:00pm to 9:30pm. The timings are subject to change during festival days and holidays.The Golden chariot of the temple was made with the help of funds raised from devotees. The chariot carries approximately 7kilograms of gold worth around 35 lakhs. The chariots first running was a grand spectacle to watch and attracted several devotees. Several devotees desire to pull the chariot hence pay a fixed fees to do so in order to make their wishes come true. The temple is a tourist attraction as well as a pilgrim’s destination in Pondicherry.